Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I have a new(ish) life goal

And it involves travel. Like, a lot.

See, here's the thing: I am an excellent traveller, which is to say that I am a pro at airports, I sleep on planes like a champ, I'm great at packing, I adore exploring new places, I'm reasonably good at not looking like a tourist, and I have a strong desire to learn new languages.

BUT:

I am coming to realize I am extremely poorly travelled. I have been to 19/50 US states, and only 5 foreign countries, 2 of which are in North America. In 21 years. More to the point, I have not been out of this country in THREE YEARS.

With so many of my close friends claiming living relatives in foreign lands, combined with the good amount of these people that spent their summers abroad or traversed the globe studying abroad, it's tough to not start to feel... inadequate, if only because my own intense desire to travel is, in truth, so thoroughly unfulfilled.

So I'm making some lists, because that's what I do - I organize and I plan and I create goals. I figure at least several of these are achievable through theatre and the rest... well, I'll make a liiiiiittle money eventually, right?

Current top 10 list of places I would like to get in the next 10 years:
1. Spain. Spain Spain Spain Spain Spain.
2. Italy
3. Ireland
4. Greece
5. France
6. India
7. Russia
8. Czech Republic
9. Bermuda
10. Jamaica
...I started off in a sort of mental block about this and didn't get to 10 that easily at first but now, I must include the honorable mentions which are: China, Indonesia, Puerto Rico, the DR, Costa Rica, Turkey, and Morocco.

Places I have been that I would like to return (this is to say, all):
1. Japan, to see it as a grown-up
2. Canada, to explore beyond Toronto, and because I haven't been to Toronto in 5 years
3. England, to spend more time - possibly extended - there
4. Scotland, to go back to the Fringe specifically but also to experience more of the country
5. Mexico, to see places that aren't Puerto Vallarta

So, WHO HAS IDEAS FOR MAKING LOTS OF MONEY VERY EASILY TO FINANCE MY TRAVEL PLANS?


Perhaps I make it my goal to get to one of these places on my list in the next year. Even if it's the returns list... Montreal is cheap from New York... hmm.

2 comments:

  1. i always used to daydream about say, you, me, vyvy and aseem traveling the world- you know, the overeducated harker kids.
    we'd speak like 10 languages between us!
    i mean, just the example i gave would be:
    english
    spanish
    french
    russian
    vietnamese
    mandarin
    cantonese
    hindi
    japanese?
    imagine the possibilities!!! we could be understood in most of europe, a lot of east and southeast asia, pretty much all of latinoamerica... our only weak spot is africa and the middle east!
    ahhhhhh i am getting so excited about the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also you're making me want to make a list of places i want to go. numbers 1-10 before this summer were china, so now i guess it looks like this:
    1. Taiwan
    2. Thailand
    3. Ghana
    4. Peru
    5. India
    6. A Nordic country. Norway, maybe.
    7. Vietnam
    8. Australia
    9. Antarctica
    10. Indonesia

    ReplyDelete